A tutorial for a set of Quilted Pillow Shams, a project designed for Art Gallery Fabrics new, gorgeous LillyBelle Fabric Collection, that's quick, easy, and takes only 10 Fat Quarters to make a set!
What you'll need : :
Cutting and Piecing the Fabrics : :
1. Choose six different fat quarters of the LillyBelle fabrics for the pillow sham fronts, save the other four for the pillow sham backs
2. Cut each of the six fat quarters into two pieces measuring 5" x 20" (I recommend using a rotary cutter and mat set for cutting)
3. With right sides facing, pin and sew six fabric strips together, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance
4. Press all seams open as you go
5. Continue to piece both pillow sham fronts and press well on both sides
Layering and Quilting the Pillow Top : :
6. Cut Muslin into two pieces measuring 22" x 36". Cut batting into two pieces measuring 21" x 30"
7. Lay muslin piece onto the work surface, center batting piece on top of that, and then center the pieced pillow top
8. Prepare for machine quilting. Pin layers together well, adding a few pins running down each of the six different fabrics that makeup your pillow sham top
9. Stitch on either side of the seams as shown in the photo below
10. Once quilted, remove pins
11. Using a large ruler or straight edge, trim away excess fabric, batting, and muslin. The pillow top should now measure 20" x 26"
12. Continue to baste, quilt, and trim both pillow sham fronts
Sewing the pillow together : :
13. Prepare back pieces -- Using two of the remaining LillyBelle Fat Quarters for each pillow sham, cut fabrics to pieces measuring 18" x 20", fold over one of the sides measuring 20" a 1/2", press, fold over again, press. Sew along inner folded edge and along the outer edge, staying close to the fold. This will create the double seam finish.
14. Place pillow top piece RIGHT side up on your work surface. Place both backing pieces RIGHT side down on top of the pillow top piece.
15. Pin and sew along entire perimeter using a 1/2" seam allowance
16. Zigzag stitch around the entire perimeter, as well 17. Trim all four corners
18. Turn pillow right side out, making sure to poke out each corner. Press well. Repeat for second pillow
Insert your pillows and now you have your very own set of LillyBelle Quilted Pillow Shams!!
Want to win your own set of FQ to complete this project? Well enter to win! ....
- Followers of Maureen Cracknell Handmade get an additional entry, too! Whether you follow her blog or on Facebook, just let her know that you do by making a separate comment to record that entry. (one optional entry)
Subscribe to our blog to stay up to date on all thing AGF & the Fat Quarter Gang!
Please enter now through Friday morning, July 13th. Mr. Random will pick the winner and Maureen will announce their name at the bottom of her giveaway blog post!
Happy Sewing :)
The Fat Quarter Gang & AGF team
*** Want the PDF? Check out AGF Consumer site for previous member projects and their PDF's ****