Hi! I'm Maureen from Maureen Cracknell Handmade, and I'm so excited to be sharing my newest Fat Quarter Gang Project with you today! Today's tutorial is for a pair of Rock & Romance Scrappy Patchwork Shoelaces!
What you'll need : :
- 8 - fabric strips of Rock & Romance cut into pieces measuring 2" x varying lengths
- 1 - pair of Converse sneakers or any other lace-up shoe
- 1 - size #13 darning needle
- Coordinating Thread
- Rotary Cutter/Mat/Ruler
Cutting and Piecing the Fabrics : :
1. Using a rotary cutter, quilting ruler, and cutting mat, cut fabrics into a variety of strips measuring 2" x the desired length. There is no need to cut these strips on the bias.
2. Now it's time to sew those fabric strips together. Take two strips of fabric and put them right sides together at a 90 degree angel. This is just like creating bias tape!
3. Simply sew the strips together on the diagonal, like shown. You can use a disappearing ink pen to mark your lines before hand.
4. Trim away excess fabric to create a 1/4 inch allowance.
5. Once you have your long strip of fabric, press seams open.
6. Use your iron to press the long fabric strip in half lengthwise to make it 1" wide. Open up the strip and fold each long side into the middle, using that pressed line as your guide. Fold over again and press well.
7. Beginning on the side with the open long edge, sew down each side of the fabric strip, using a straight stitch.
8. Pull one end of the shoelace through the opening of the darning needed. Thread through each hole of the shoe. Once laced, finish the shoelaces by folding over the raw ends a 1/4" two times and sew closed with machine or by hand. This will make sure the lace ends don't fray.
9. Repeat these steps to make your pair.
I ended up making several pair and I don't think I'll ever buy another pair of shoelaces again!
I hope you enjoy making these, too!! If you do give this tutorial a go, be sure to join and add them to the Fat Quarter Gang Flickr Group!
Ready to get sewing with your own fat quarter bundle of Rock 'n Romance? Skate on over to Maureen Cracknell Handmade and tell her you want your own rockin set!
As always to be eligible to win you must follow us on your fav social media platform (Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter) and Subscribe to our blog to stay up to date on all thing AGF & the Fat Quarter Gang! Ohhh... and lets not forget Flickr!
Enter to win today! Giveaway open until October 12th.